Girl Scouts of Northern New Jersey is closely monitoring novel coronavirus (COVID-19) updates from the Centers for Disease Control, the World Health Organization, and the New Jersey Department of Health.
As Girl Scouts, the safety and well-being of our girls, volunteers, families, and staff are our primary concern, and we are taking appropriate measures to ensure girls continue to have a safe Girl Scout experience.
Cookie Booths, Troop Meetings, and Program Events:
- Cookie Booth Sales at Girl Scouts of Northern New Jersey will be suspended through April 12, 2020. Cookie Booth Sale Season will be extended through Sunday, May 31, 2020. Girl Rewards will be based on all cookies sold through Sunday, April 19. More details will be available on the eBudde help center, through Cookie Chat, and on our website. When you postpone or cancel an already scheduled booth sale, please update eBudde on the Booth Sites tab.
- Troops should only pay for cookies they have already sold, either at a booth sale or the Initial Order. Payment for upcoming booth sales should be made the Tuesday following your booth sale.
- At Girl Scouts of Northern New Jersey, we are postponing or cancelling all events and activities through April 12, 2020. If circumstances change, we are prepared to follow the recommendations of the CDC and local health departments to ensure the health and safety of our members.
- All Service Unit and Troop meetings should be suspended through April 12, 2020.
- We advise our Service Units and members to consider buying cancellation insurance for any upcoming large Girl Scout event or travel.
Practice social distancing and continue increased hygiene at home:
- Wash hands frequently especially after sneezing or coughing, shaking hands/bodily contact with another individual, and before eating. Use soap and water for 20 seconds or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover the nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing
then throw the tissue in the trash, or as a last resort cough or
sneeze into the elbow.
Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.
- Girl Scout of Northern New Jersey is preparing activities to help you keep girls active while at home. Visit our Girl Scouts at Home web page for more information.
- Please review activity plans found in the Volunteer Toolkit and identify badges girls can work on remotely with materials available in their homes. If you would like to host virtual meetings, we suggest FreeConferenceCall.com. You can also use the Google Hangout app for groups of 10 or less.
- Follow Girl Scouts of Northern New Jersey on Facebook (@gsnnj) and Instagram (@gsnnj) as well as www.gsnnj.org. We will be posting ways girls and families can stay engaged and active while troops are not meeting.
Be a source of comfort and calm for girls.
- Girl Scouts of the USA has developed a helpful resource for How to Talk to Your Girl about Coronavirus to help minimize stress and worry in your Girl Scout's life and give her a sense of calm and control.
Thank you for your help in keeping Girl Scouts a safe, fun space for everyone! If you have any questions about how COVID-19 is impacting Girl Scout activities, please contact Girl Scouts of Northern New Jersey at email@example.com or 973-248-8200—we're here for you.
For current information* on COVID-19 in GSNNJ’s five county footprint, please visit the State of New Jersey Department of Health.
*This information is subject to change based on the ongoing nature of the COVID-19 virus in your respective communities.
Note: Girls can still participate in Girl Scout activities and even continue to earn badges. Our Girl Scouts at Home web page contains virtual program activities that will help girls explore the four pillars of the Girl Scout Leadership Experience: STEM; outdoors; life skills; and entrepreneurship. You'll find step-by-step instructional packets for Girl Scouts of all levels, as well as other helpful information for families and troop leaders.