Who should take Troop Camper Certification?
One adult per troop participating in:
- Outdoor campfires or activities using indoor fireplace.
- Camping when meals are not provided.
- Camping when meals are cooked using propane, butane, charcoal, solar cooking, wood fires, or hibachi.
- Camping at campgrounds on your own, not part of a community encampment.
- Although Troop Camper 1 is not required to camp in a building, it is highly recommended. The online videos are full of useful information.
Registration Pre-requisite: Overnight Orientation Self Study. Find
the self-study on our website at
Orientation. Overnight Orientation Self-Study must be completed two
weeks before taking this course.
Troop Camper Certification is a two-part course. Both parts must be completed in order to be certified.
Part 1 is a 2.5-hour planning session that covers skills, planning, safety, and outdoor cooking materials.
Troop Camper Part 1 OPTIONS:
IN-PERSON: Attend a session at one of our Service Centers as noted below. "Outdoor Education in Girl Scouting" book is a valuable resource in our Council Shops.
ONLINE OPTION: This option is a self-study, utilizing videos and completing the self-study test. See below to access the videos and test to complete this option. Please answer the quiz online.
Troop Camper Part 2: Everyone MUST sign up for one of the Troop Camper Part 2 sessions below. Please sign up for the Part 2 class before finishing the Part 1 test or attending the Part 1 session.
Part 2 is a 7-hour outdoor experience that covers propane stoves, fire building, outdoor cooking, camping skills, and hiking.
Please note: There is a $9 per person fee for Part 2 of this course to cover the cost of food and supplies.
When you arrive at Troop Camper Certification Part 2, you will be assigned a patrol. The patrol will work together learning and trying new things.
TROOP CAMPER ONLINE OPTION: (Be sure to register for a Part 2 date)
- Watch several videos on visiting the outdoors and camping. Use the following Link to access the VIDEOS, OR VIEW THEM BELOW
- Answer the questions online at the end of each video or at the end of all the videos. You can also stop and start when it is convenient for you.
- Complete the Troop Camper Part 1 Self-Study
- All completed tests must be submitted at least two weeks before the Part 2 class.
TROOP CAMPER IN-PERSON OPTION FOR TROOP CAMPER PART 1: Use the link
below to register for one of the classes.(Be sure to register for a
Part 1 date & a Part 2 date.
REGISTER FOR TROOP CAMPER IN-PERSON TRAINING
TROOP CAMPER FOR PART 2- Use the link below to register for one of the classes. (Everyone MUST sign up for Part 2.)
Space is limited for the Part 2 dates, so please register promptly.
An e-mail will be sent with directions and more information before your training.