Becoming Me Program Series Facilitator
Girl Scouts is launching the Becoming Me program in collaboration with former First Lady Michelle Obama and Penguin Random House. Inspired by themes from Mrs. Obama’s Becoming: Adapted for Young Readers, Girl Scouts’ new Becoming Me program aims to help girls become their best selves.
By facilitating this 6-8 week program with girls in grades K-12, you will have the opportunity to support and nurture girls on their own journey to become whomever they want to be. The Becoming Me program also includes a members-only virtual event with Mrs. Obama on Thursday, May 6, 2021, that will be available for volunteers to view in the Volunteer Toolkit (VTK) in early August.
Location: Online or at a designated GSNNJ council facility
- Facilitate 6-8 weeks of meetings with girls in accordance with the program outline
- Assist the girls in earning three pre-selected badges from their program level, examining the badgework through the lens of the themes of Mrs. Obama’s Becoming: Adapted for Young Readers
- Support the girls and their families in their introduction the Girl Scouts, answering questions and connecting them to council staff for additional details on continuing their involvement
- Coordinate technical challenges behind the scenes to ensure the best possible experience for girls (for virtual engagement)
- Coordinate with the meeting location and the council to make sure dates, times and details are set up for each meeting (for in-person engagement)
- Become a member of Girl Scouts and complete a background check
- Attend a brief mandatory digital training prior to serving in the role
- Experience navigating digital presentation platforms including Zoom (for virtual engagement)
- Experience and/or interest in working with girls of a variety of age levels
- Completion of a background check
- Pre-meeting prep work and calls: approximately 2 hours
- Meeting time, 1-2 hours per meeting for 6-8 weeks
Training and Support
- Mandatory digital training to provide a brief foundation in Girl Scout programming
- Pre-series conference call with council staff to review specific details
- Inspire girls to explore new interests and experiences
- Build skills in time management, working with girls and facilitating activities with a small group
- Build your skills in digital presentation (for virtual engagement)
For more information, visit GSUSA's Becoming Me website. If you are interested in supporting GSNNJ as a Becoming Me Program Series Facilitator, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.