ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF GIRL REPRESENTATIVES
GIRL SCOUTS OF NORTHERN NEW JERSEY BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Accountable to: Chair of the Board of Directors
The role of the Girl Representative to the Board is important to us—you are the voice of the girls of our Council.
- Girl Representatives are non-voting members and serve a one-year term beginning with the Annual Meeting (May 11, 2022).
- Girl Representatives mush attend Board Meetings (June 8, Sept. 21, and Dec. 7, 2022).
- Girl Representatives will attend a brief orientation session to review key documents and reports.
- Girl Representatives are supplied with a folder of current documents each meeting and are encouraged to actively participate in Board meeting discussions.
- Girl Representatives will be required to sign a confidentiality agreement. Representatives may be privy to information of a confidential nature.
- As a Girl Scout, you have ideas that are important to share. The Board is interested in your views and experience.
Board Member Role and Responsibilities
Board Members are responsible for managing the affairs of the council in compliance with the GSUSA charter requirements. In addition to conducting business, Board Members serve on committees, help with fund raising, attend girl events and work in their communities to advance the Girl Scout movement.
Girl Scout Council Board of Directors typically function in the following ways:
- Maintain focus on the Girl Scout Mission
- Fulfill governance responsibilities to ensure that a quality leadership experience is provided for all Girl Scouts in our council.
- Set policy on how the council operates.
- Selection and evaluation of the President/Chief Executive Officer.
- Strategic planning for the council’s future.
- Fundraising through special events, grants, and individuals to support the Girl Scout Mission.
- Fiduciary oversight of the operating budget.
- Interaction with the community, so it is aware of what Girl Scouting is and why it is important.
- Oversight of the management function through the CEO.
- Review of the accomplishments of the Board and President/CEO to ensure successful achievement of goals for the council.